Extreme weather hit California’s primary strawberry growing regions this past weekend. High humidity and triple digit temperatures for three consecutive days have caused severe quality and shelf-life concerns for product loading this week. Markon recommends ordering for quick turns and maintaining 34 degrees throughout the cold chain.
- Markon First Crop Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available and packer label are being substituted as needed
- Industry-wide quality issues are a major concern
- Yields are down over 50% as many growers cull damaged fruit
- Soft texture will lead to premature breakdown
- Shelf-life will be shorter than normal
- Markets are steady this week but poised to rise as the Salinas/Watsonville season winds down over the next several weeks