- Markon First Crop® (MFC) Premium Iceberg Lettuce weights are higher on average than the rest of the industry
- Rainy weather and strong winds have impacted production in Florida and Georgia. Muddy, wet field conditions will delay the harvesting of bell peppers, cabbage, cucumbers, melons, squash, and tomatoes this week.
- The Honeycrisp apple season has ended. Braebum supplies will wind down this week
- The market continues to inch up
- Offshore Chilean lemons will be available in mid-June
- MFC Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons are on the market
- Supplies are tight, but expected to ramp up as warmer weather is in the forecast
- California nectarines and peaches are on the market
- Plums will become available next week
Ask a Markon Chef
Q: Father’s Day is known as a grilled, meat-focused holiday…what veg-centric dishes do you suggest for those looking for more produce-based dishes?
A: One of my favorites is sauteed morel mushrooms and grilled asparagus. I like to finish the morels in the pan with Madeira wine and then drizzle the whole dish with a harissa sauce. It makes a great Father’s Day meal, because that is one of the last weekends that those ingredients are in their seasonal prime.
- Wrap spears of MFC Asparagus in thinly sliced pancetta; grill until meat is crisp and asparagus is tender.
- Chop grilled MFC Sweet Baby Broccoli and toss with corn, tomatoes, basil, and vinaigrette for a fresh vegetable salad.
Tips for Serving Iceberg Lettuce
- Toss chopped MFC Trimmed Iceberg Lettuce with sliced mango, macadamia nuts, and vinaigrette made with MFC Strawberries.
- Puree grilled jalapeno chile peppers, Ready-SetServe® (RSS) Lime Juice, and RSS Washed & Trimmed Cilantro; toss chopped MFC Premium Iceberg Lettuce with fried tortilla strips; serve on top of grilled mahi mahi; drizzle with chile pepper mixture.
- Slather house-made bread with RSS Avocado Pure Pulp; top with sliced heirloom tomatoes, crumbled bacon strips, and RSS Shredded Iceberg Lettuce.