UPDATE: CALIFORNIA STRAWBERRIES
May 5, 2015
Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are available. Overall volume remains limited due to lower-than-normal temperatures. Central Coast weather is forecast to remain cool and mild all week, with temperatures in the low to mid-60s. Although supplies are expected to remain tight, they will meet demand.
· MFC Strawberries are available in 2/4-pound and 8/1-pound packs; quality is excellent
· Berry size is large in the Salinas/Watsonville region; expect 12 to 15 berries per 1-pound clamshell
· Most Santa Maria fruit size is medium-plus; counts range from 18 to 22 berries per 1-pound clamshell
· Bruising and bleeding are occasional issues in large berries
· Cool temperatures will continue to slow growth through the weekend
· Open-market prices have eased because Mother’s Day demand is ending, but limited supplies will prevent prices from falling much lower
· Markon’s May strawberry promotion will run through May 22
· Lead time is recommended for all orders
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.