April 03, 2017
Cantaloupe and honeydew melon prices will rise over the next two weeks due to tightening supplies and strong Easter holiday demand.
- Offshore melon growers, in Guatemala and Honduras, will transition into spring production areas over the next two weeks
- Strong demand leading up to the Easter holiday will push both markets higher over the next 10 to 14 days
- Quality is very good: cantaloupe sugar levels range from 10 to 12 Brix, while honeydew are 9 to 11 Brix
- Domestic cantaloupes and honeydew harvesting will begin in the Arizona/California desert region in May
- Markon First Crop Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons will be available the week of May 8