As vegetable-centered meals continue to gain popularity, chefs are focusing on unique produce, particularly purple vegetables. Purple is the new green as a wide variety of purple produce provides diners with nutrients and antioxidants as well as bright and tasty options.
- Prepare oven-roasted slices of purple eggplant and serve over white beans with a lemon caper sauce.
- Offer a Mediterranean-style purple cauliflower and roasted broccoli dish with anchovy, garlic, fennel, chili flakes, parsley, olives, and toasted breadcrumbs.
- Create a fresh spring salad with purple beet noodles topped with goat cheese, arugula, and pistachios drizzled with balsamic glaze.
Try these MAINES items:
Item# 097170 Fresh – 1 1/9BU Eggplant Fancy
Item# 096105 Fresh – 1 Case Blackberries
Item# 097049 Fresh – 1 Case Beets
Street Food-Inspired Dishes
Street food-inspired dishes take on flavor from diverse cultures around the world, showcasing what locals are eating. Chefs are taking these well-known street foods and creating versions of their own.
- Prepare Korean-inspired street tacos using flank steak marinated in soy sauce, mirin, dark brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Serve in a tortilla topped with daikon radish, red beans, shiitake mushrooms, and gochujang sour cream.
- An American street food classic, offer kabobs with shrimp, zucchini, and oranges coated in rosemary pesto.
- Utilize a protein with increased interest and prepare lamb and fava bean dumplings. Enhance appeal by serving with a chili-mint dipping sauce.
- Capitalize on the popularity of tempura and make calamari tempura served with chili-tomato sauce. Or, get creative with chèvre-stuffed tempura squash blossoms.