August 14, 2017
Storage crop Idaho White Russet potatoes will be available through September 1. New crop harvesting for the 2017-2018 season will begin in early October.
- Temperatures have been ideal during the White Russet growth phase; very good quality and high yields are forecast
- 2017-2018 White Russet supplies are expected to be available through early September 2018
- The White Russet possesses unique characteristics
- Internal tissue remains white when cut or peeled, while conventional Russet potatoes begin to darken once exposed to air/oxygen
- Acrylamide is reduced 50% to 80% when baked or fried at high temperatures; studies show that acrylamide has caused cancer in animals when exposed at very high doses