- Light rain is forecast for the Huron and Salinas Valleys later this week, posing potential lettuce and leafy greens harvesting delays as well as quality problems.
- Grapes – prices are slightly higher; green seedless stocks are transitioning into storage.
- The market is steadily increasing as seasonal harvests in Mexico are winding down.
- Expect an elevated market to develop by late April and persist through May
- Fresh-run, Texas-grown onions are expected on the market soon. The crop will be dominated by medium and jumbo sizes
- Fresh-run onions will have feathery skins and light color/exterior skins compared to Northwest storage onions’ darker, more cured skins
- California strawberry supplies are increasing; warmer weather has promoted growth
- More rain is expected by the weekend; supplies will tighten again.
Ask a Markon Chef
Q: Korean foods are on-trend, whether in authentic form or in fusion dishes. How do you suggest incorporating these flavors on the menu?
A: Marinated spicy, garlic sirloin bulgogi done on the grill can be tossed with fresh vegetables such as red peppers, red onions, grilled green onions, and seasoned/grilled slices of cauliflower florets. Also delicious as a replacement for the typical filling in a fajitas recipe.
- It’s easy to incorporate cabbage-based kimchi in grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, rice bowls, egg dishes, quesadillas, and more
- Spicy gochujang (Korean barbecue sauce) works well on chicken wings, avocado toast, poke bowls, stir-fries, lettuce wraps, and tater tots.
Tips for Serving Oranges
- Combine cooked black beans, chopped Markon First Crop® (MFC) Oranges, sliced MFC Red Onions, and Ready-Set-Serve® (RSS) Washed & Trimmed Cilantro; serve in RSS Lettuce Jammers with crumbled queso and drizzled chipotle vinaigrette.
- Mix couscous with chopped MFC Oranges, sliced MFC Red Onions, torn MFC Mint, and sliced green olives; drizzle with olive oil and serve with grilled lamb.
- Sprinkle sugar on RSS Orange Sections; broil until caramelized; drizzle creme anglais made with ginger and the zest of MFC Oranges over all.