- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting 60 cases from five states that indicates pre-cut melons, including fruit salads, are a likely source of Salmonella outbreak. No Markon products are involved in this incident
- Markon First Crop® (MFC) Premium Iceberg Lettuce weights continue to be higher on average than the rest of the industry
- Prices will continue climbing through summer months
- Offshore Chilean and Argentine lemons are now available
- Great time to promote MFC and Markon Essentials® (ESS) Limes
- Expect ample supplies through August
- Abundant supplies of fresh-run MFC Red and Yellow Onions are available in California and New Mexico
- Fresh-run onions will have feathery, light color/exterior skins compared to Northwest storage onions
Ask a Markon Chef
Q: Floral flavors such as elderflower, lavender, and orange blossom were hits in the beverage sector last year and are crossing over into appetizers, salads, and desserts. What is your favorite floral flavor and how do you use it?
A: My favorite is lavender. It’s both fragrant and beautiful. However, my newest floral friends are chive blossoms. Just one tiny bite of their flavor can really elevate a bowl of sugar snap peas or edamame.
- Elderflower and hibiscus will be popular with mixologists this summer—try them in your favorite cocktails.
- Try adding subtly floral flavors to creme brulee with fresh lavender
Tips for Serving Grapes
- Toss RSS Romaine Ribbons with MFC Red Seedless Grapes, RSS Sliced Celery, walnuts, and salty ham cubes; drizzle with chive vinaigrette.
- Garnish cold soups such as green gazpacho, honeydew, and cucumber with sliced MFC Green Seedless Grapes and slivered almonds.
- Serve MFC Red Seedless Grapes, sliced MFC Apples, pears, and figs on specialty cheese platters.
- MFC Green Seedless Grapes are ideal burger and sandwich sides.