- Markon First Crop® (MFC) Premium Romain Lettuce weights are higher on average than the rest of the industry (36 to 39 pounds compared with 34 to 37 pounds)
- The FDA investigates multistate outbreak of Cyclospora illnesses likely linked to salads from a fast food chain
- Prices for round tomatoes are low, the vine ripe market is steady, and Roma prices are climbing
- supplies remain extremely limited
- Substituting sizes and grades will aid in order coverage
- Expect tight New Mexico supplies, active markets, and loading delays through at least mid-week
- Ample California stocks are available to meet increased demand
- Elevated temperatures in Santa Maria and Watsonville, California have impacted strawberry supplies and quality
- Expect higher prices, limited availability, and quality issues through July
Ask a Markon Chef
Q: Summer tomatoes are full of flavor. What is your favorite raw preparation?
A: Before becoming a chef, my sister Pam taught me to make a vinaigrette with olive oil, red wine vinegar, chopped garlic, fresh oregano, salt, and pepper. Splash this dressing on tomatoes and marinate before serving.
- Grill MFC Tomatoes and okra in a wok basket; chop coarsely and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper; serve with rice and skirt steak
- Mix Ready-Set-Serve® (RSS) Honeydew Chunks, cubed RSS Avocado Halves, chopped MFC Tomatoes, RSS Diced Red Onions, RSS Washed & Trimmed Cilantro, and RSS Lime Juice; serve with seared scallops.
- Mix chopped MFC Cherry Tomatoes, fresh garbanzo beans, cooked rotini noodles, and RSS Washed & Trimmed Green Onions; serve on RSS Romaine Fillets with mint vinaigrette
Tips for Serving Cauliflower
- Roast RSS Cauliflower Florets and monkfish fillets in a coconut curry sauce; serve all over basmati rice.
- Saute chopped Markon Essentials® (ESS) Cauliflower and capers; deglaze with sherry and top with crumbled bacon
- Toss RSS Cauli Creations, quinoa, Brussels sprouts quarters, pepitas, and creamy tahini dressing.