- Markon First Crop® (MFC) Premium Green Leaf Lettuce weights are higher on average than the rest of the industry (23 to 26 pounds compared with 21 to 24 pounds)
- An industry-wide shortage of domestic Valencia oranges is coming soon; offshore Navels will be supplemented as needed to fill all orders
- This summer’s hot weather has increased heat-related defects in Salinas Valley crops
- Expect stronger broccoli prices. Supplies will increase next week, causing markets to stabilize
- Some Salinas Valley growers have experienced gaps in planting schedules, creating a subtle disruption in supplies
- Prices are climbing due to tighter supplies reduced by wet weather and increased demand
- Breakdown, decay, stylar, and yellowing are more prevalent than normal
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions from California and New Mexico will be available through this week
Ask a Markon Chef
Q: Fresh corn tastes best in the summer. How do you serve it in fresh, unique ways? What do you pair it with?
A: First, I like to grill whole ears of corn to get a nice char on the kernels. Sometimes I slather spicy mayo on the ears and sprinkle with grated Mexican cheeses (like Cotija) and cilantro—great with steaks and burgers. Other times I cut the kernels off and toss them with leafy greens or ancient grains to add a bite of summer to my salads.
- Serve roasted corn soup topped with Ready-Set-Serve® (RSS) Pico de Gallo Guacamole and fried tortilla strips.
- Add sweet corn, roasted Pasilla chile peppers, and caramelized sliced onions to beaten eggs and cream; bake and serve frittata with refried beans.
Tips for Serving Zucchini Squashes
- Mix melted butter, chopped RSS Peeled Garlic, RSS Lemon Juice, and MFC Thyme; brush on halved MFC Zucchini; grill and serve with steaks
- Thread chunks of MFC Zucchini and Yellow Squash with lamb, RSS Peeled Garlic, chopped MFC Red Onions, and MFC Lemons; marinate in olive oil, RSS Washed & Trimmed Cilantro, and fresh ground black pepper; grill and serve with couscous or rice
- Dip chopped MFC Zucchini in egg whites, then coat with bread crumbs; deep fry and serve with roasted tomato coulis