Consumer trend reports from 2014 reveal insights into consumer preferences for salad. According to a news release from Technomics, more than 43 percent of consumers strongly agree that they visit certain restaurants specifically because they enjoy the salads those restaurants offer.
- 60% of consumers say it is important that salad be bundled with other items.
- Consumers want to try new and unique salads. 21% say they purchase salad because they want to try new varieties.
- Kale, chopped, and grain-based salads are trending forward at the restaurant-chain level and in the retail space.
- Leading salad proteins in the top 250 limited-service restaurant chains: chicken, 36.2%; bacon, 8.6 ; ham, 4.4%; and turkey, 3.6%.
- Consumers are more likely to purchase and willing to pay more for a salad that is premium (35%), natural (31%), local (30%), and preservative free (30%).